Friday, April 06, 2012

Review: Gift by Andrea J. Buchanan

Title: Gift
Author: Andrea J. Buchanan
Publication: March 27, 2012  by Open Road Media
Taken from Netgalley
Book Description:

High school sophomore Daisy Jones is just trying to get by unnoticed. It doesn’t help that she’s the new girl at school, lives in a trailer park, and doesn’t even own a cell phone. But there’s a good reason for all that: Daisy has a secret, unpredictable power—one only her best friend, Danielle, knows about.
 
Despite her “gift” (or is it a curse?), Daisy’s doing a good job of fitting in—and a cute senior named Kevin even seems interested in her! But when Daisy tries to help Vivi, a mysterious classmate in a crisis, she soon discovers that her new friend has a secret of her own. Now Daisy and her friends must deal with chilling dreams and messages from the beyond. Can Daisy channel the power she’s always tried to hide—before it’s too late?



 My Thoughts:

The blurb made me want to read this book.  I like a story that is about mystery and paranormal with a hint of romance. Gift is a good story, a light read and was written flawlessly.

The story is seen through Daisy’s point of view. She was sent to find Vivi, a broken girl who tried to kill herself by drinking loads of painkiller. Daisy saved her from her fate. The story became much more interesting, when Daisy and Danielle shares the same dreams, a dream place where they were people from the past. Who is this Patrick? Is he some kind of ghostly presence? And why is Kevin oddly protective of her? Is it curiosity or a connection between them? You have to read this book to find out.

The story started quite slow for me, it only became interesting at the middle. The dream part got me curious. It gave me chills and left me begging for answers. Who are Jane and Veronica?  Like I said, you have to read this book to find out. I don’t want to give the story away.

The world building is okay. The setting is more for young readers (Middle Grade). Since the protagonist is a sophomore. It was believable and close to reality. I had some reminiscing going on while reading this book. Danielle, Vivi and Kevin reminds me of my friends back in High School :)

The characters are not that memorable. They lack impact, something that can leave a lasting impression. They seem to be like the other characters from other novels. Not quite unique. Though, I like how believable they are. You will really feel like you are part of Castle Creek High School.

As for the characters, I love Daisy. I find her power very cool “Electricity Girl”; She's smart and brave. Kevin’s character gave spice to the story. I like his sense of humor. He is hot and funny. Daisy and Kevin’s dialogues made me laugh a couple of times. I don’t like Danielle. I find her shallow, selfish and close minded. Vivi is fragile though her sweetness and vulnerability made her likable.

I also like the short graphic illustrations, telling Vivi’s story and Dannielle’s journal, revealing her deepest thoughts. 

Overall, this book is a light and fast read. I recommend this book to younger readers. There was no swearing or any explicit content, a clean read for young readers.

I give this book 3 Whales.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs