Thursday, February 28, 2013

Review: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Published: June 14, 2011 by Razorbill
Book Description:
You can't stop the future. You can't rewind the past. The only way to learn the secret. . . is to press play.

Clay Jensen doesn't want anything to do with the tapes Hannah Baker made. Hannah is dead. Her secrets should be buried with her.

Then Hannah's voice tells Clay that his name is on her tapes-- and that he is, in some way, responsible for her death.

All through the night, Clay keeps listening. He follows Hannah's recorded words throughout his small town. . .

. . .and what he discovers changes his life forever.




My Thoughts:

Have you ever wondered if your actions, no matter how small or big it is, had impact on other people? Well this book will make you reflect about it specially on the crucial times of being a student.

We all know that in school there will always be those people who will be your friends and who will be the "douchebags". I don't know everyone's history on school but I think this book will affect you in one way or another. Why did I say that? Because I was.

I already know that this book will be an emotional one even before buying it. I read the synopsis and said to myself I should prepare myself. Now it's just a matter on how much toll it will take on my emotions.

So we are introduced to 2 main characters here on the first few chapters, Clay and Hannah. You will not be spoiled, Hannah committed suicide as said in the description. The only question is why? What are the events that made her decide to end her life. That is the whole point of this book. Clay discovers who, what, when, where and why did she made that decision. And Clay is included in the reasons, he just doesn't know why.

Thirteen Reason for Thirteen People. 

The way Jay Asher told her story through cassette tapes us quite unique. It makes that part feel organic in a way. His writing style in this book quite honestly is a little bit confusing at first since the POV of Clay and Hannah is constantly alternating so you need a little bit more concentration while reading. But it totally works, it creates a dynamic between the alive Clay and the non-existing Hannah anymore.

What I really like about this book is the lesson it teaches us. It makes us wary of are actions in the past and maybe the actions we will do in the future. It makes us think how we interact to other people and say to ourselves "Is what I am doing wrong or right?" It questions are actions.

The simplicity of the story which is grounded in reality and also the fact that it really happens in our society (young or adult) makes this book one of my favorite among all the books that I have read in my entire life.

I highly suggest you read this book but I warn you prepare yourself  emotionally.

I give this book 5 whales.





  


6 comments:

  1. It's a really intriguing and emotionally-heavy book. But it's something that you should at least once, imho.

    I also reviewed Thirteen Reasons Why if you're interested.

    And I like how you used the word "organic"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the focus on the thought of how not only the way the things you did/said affected other people's lives, but also the things you did not do/say.

    Great book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very powerful story. I have it as an audio-book, and I think I'm going to get a book as well.
    And I agree, it definitely makes one stop and think how much our own actions influence other people and their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard how great this book is, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to read it. I don't usually enjoy reading sad books. Even though I know the sad books are usually powerful and moving, I can never force myself to read them. Great review, though. This book does sound like it would be a good read for a lot of high school students.

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started this once but didn't care for the audio so I'll probably end up reading it at some point. My library actually has a copy, so that's pretty great.
    Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will love this book, because you won't be able to help yourself. You will feel what Clay feels. You will, in a very strong way, experience the highs and lows of Hannah's life right along with her. And there is nothing, in my opinion, that could speak better for the authenticity of a book. Read THIRTEEN REASONS WHY. And then, if you're like me, you'll read it again. And, hopefully, none of us will ever forget it.

    Marlene
    Have you viewed Glendale Moving Companies Website

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs